Monday, September 7, 2009

Keep it literal.










I learned a lesson some years ago when the web was new and I was new at writing web copy. I was assigned to write revolving feature stories and headlines for a corporate web site and I thought I had come up with a few really good pieces. One feature graphic was a picture of dice with the headline "gambling your network" another stab at the copy read "feeling lucky?"

I was pretty pleased at how clever I was--especially to conjure up that image of dice. I mean, I wasn't even a graphic designer. This web stuff was a piece of cake!

A more seasoned co-worker of mine (an actual web/graphic designer) took me aside and with the gentle reasoning I needed (being new at this I was sure that my words were going to make or break the company's good name) told me one of the most important lessons I've learned in writing for the Web. Always be literal. Cute doesn't cut it.

Goin' Postal? Cute, clever, but what value is it really adding besides telling your audience how punny you are? In fact, this name for some people might bring up some pretty negative imagery.

Ross Dress For Less? Plain, simple and to the point. Keep the junk from creeping into your web copy and just say what you mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment